Apply until 14/05/2019 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Discipline: Theatre and Performance Studies
→ 100% Assistant professor tenure track / Associate professor
→ Reference number: 201902/LW/ZAP/002
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
Starting from 1 October 2019, a full-time mandate of professor is available in the department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies in the field of Theatre and Performance Studies, with specialization in the period before 1900. The Department envisions complementarity with the existing expertise in contemporary performance arts, and collaboration with colleagues from musicology, visual arts and architecture. The department expects proactive knowledge acquisition, based on high-level research in the study of theatre and performance practice, in which an innovative and interdisciplinary (“art and science”) methodology in collaboration with the artistic domain is a central given.
You teach courses in the educational programme of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies.
You develop research in the field of theatre and performance studies, with specialization in the period before 1900.
You provide internal and external services to the department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies, the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, and Ghent University.
– You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
– You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
– You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
– Recommended are:
° International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
°Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
°Professionalisation of education.
°Experience in interdisciplinary and inter-artistic research
°Collaboration with the arts field
Skills / Attitude
– You are quality-oriented;
– You take initiative;
– You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
– You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 oktober 2019. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of assistant professor (tenure track) or associate professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
(In the case of assistant professor TT ≥50% or full-time)
– We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
– Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
(In the case of associate professor)
– We offer you a permanent appointment in the starting grade of associate professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/professorialcareer
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
Ghent University offers each new ZAP-member a starting bourse of 200.000 €.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore, it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
– In the field ‘Cv’: the professorial staff application form with the following annexes: research plan, vision on educational innovation, impact and valorization, merged into one pdf file. Describe how the study of theatre and performance in the period before 1900 can contribute to knowledge that can influence and steer contemporary culture developments in a particular direction.
– In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
– In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
– In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Marc Leman (Head of Dept.) (Marc.Leman@UGent.be, +32 (0)9 2644125) at the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, department Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies.